Session 5 Study Questions - Man as Disciplined
"But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the
royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile
himself." Daniel 1:8
"He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by
his own great folly." Proverbs 5:23
- Can you find evidence in the scripture that the apostle Paul struggles
with self-discipline? If so, where?
- Many have suggested that discipline is not valued today in the life style
portrayed in the media. Can you provide some examples, especially from advertising?
- Do you believe that we are a less disciplined society? If so, why? If not,
- Though perhaps not in the most effective ways, men (and women as well)
in churches of Christ during past times were noted for their discipline. What
are some of the ways Restoration Christians practiced discipline in the past?
- The idea of spiritual disciplines has been propagated in Christian churches
for millennia, especially among Catholic mystics. What are some of the spiritual
disciplines which have been encouraged?
- Provide some examples of discipline from the life of the prophet Daniel.
- Do you believe that men experience problems with self-discipline in the
spiritual disciplines today? If so, what might be some general guidelines
for improving our discipline?
- What are some spiritual disciplines which Christian men (and women) should
work to practice more effectively?
- What is the role of the church in encouraging self-discipline in the spiritual
disciplines? Are there fears that the church may become too active or intrusive
when encouraging self-discipline? Can you provide some examples?