Session 7 Preparation Questions - True Womanhood and the Work of Women in
Read Proverbs 31 : 10 31. Give some thought to the role of women during
Old Testament times. Consider the following questions regarding this ideal woman.
- What was the status of women in the Ancient Near East during Old Testament
Times related to: 1)marriage rights; 2) political rights; 3) property rights;
and 4) religious rights?
- Proverbs 10:10 31 is an acrostic poem in Hebrew. What does that mean?
Does it have any significance for persons trying to understand the passage
- What does the author mean by the question, Who can find?
- Do you believe that the husband of the worthy woman in Proverbs 31 had more
than one wife? If so, why? If not, why?
- In what ways is the worthy woman wise (31:26)?
- What are the responsibilities of the worthy womans husband in the
family? In the community?
- Is the independence of the worthy woman unique for this period of history?
What might the description of the worthy woman suggest regarding the stay
at home wife?
- Is there evidence that the worthy woman is a member of the weaker
sex? If so, what is the evidence? If not, why not?
- Given the worthy womans economic well being, is the fact that she
works with her hands (31:19) unusual?
- Is there a lesson for women today based on the womans acts of charity?
- What is the relationship of the worthy woman to her husband? To her children?
- If the worthy woman is exceptional, is she to be admired or to be a model?
- Are there lessons for single women to be derived from Proverbs 31?