Session 6 Preparation Questions - Paul, the Created Order and the Role of
Women in the Church (Part 2)
Read I Corinthians 11:2 16 (concentrate on verses 7 12). In this
session we will explore Pauls use of the narrative in Genesis 2 and 3
to back his argument for propriety during the public assembly of the church.
We will later return to Pauls specific injunctions regarding propriety
during the public assembly.
- Do you believe Paul is writing of husbands and wives or men
and women in I Corinthians 11?
- Do you believe Paul is addressing a specific heresy in this passage?
- What is meant by the term glory in I Corinthians 11:7?
- To what do you think Paul is referring when he expresses concern about
head coverings? Shaving ones head? Wearing a veil (as in Arab countries
today)? Wearing a shawl over the head?
- Was it usual for Jewish men to worship with their heads uncovered during
this period? Is it unusual for orthodox Jews to worship with their heads uncovered
- What is meant by a sign of authority in I Corinthians 11:10?
- What is the meaning of I Corinthians 11:11, 12 in the context of this passage?
Is Paul qualifying his injunction?
- What does it mean and because of the angels in I Corinthians